Friday, August 8, 2008

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

Meyer, Stephanie. (2005). Twilight.

I realize that the Twilight series is officially over (excepting for Midnight Sun), and that this particular book is beyond old news, but I just finished it and I have to have my say. I didn't like it.

Now, I can explain. There are parts and elements of this story that I LOVED, but the plot of this story felt kind of half-assed. I decided to read this book because the library I am interning at had a Breaking Dawn party and discussion, so I felt I should be up on what can only be described as a phenomenon. The characters are interesting, Bella was pretty likable and reasonable, and yes, Edward is absolutely yummy. Their scenes together are riveting, even though for 95% of the book all they do is talk and stare. Adults, like in most YA novels, are superfluous, helpless and worthless to the story, often only serving as obstacles for the heroes.

Although the romance between Edward and Bella is the focus of the story, it feels like Meyer threw in some action sequences and the final chapters in order to meet some quota of pages or plot twists. I have a problem with the current trend of children's novels that inflate stories to epic proportions in a "mine-is-bigger-than-yours" kind of competition. This story could have benefitted from a few more edits, removing monotenous details of particular unimportant days and then skipping over months at a time. I have yet to read the sequels (and I will), but I expect more of the same.

My criticism isn't all negative. Girl can write! Meyer creates such tension between Edward and Bella, that during certain scenes I found myself furtively glancing around the coffee shop I was in, because I found my heart racing, pupils dilating, and my body fidgeting over something as chaste and simple as a kiss. But nothing between Edward and Bella is simple, or even entirely chaste. I was immensely impressed by Meyer's ability to create such sensuality without suffering from too much sexuality. I have yet to read a romance so believable merely from the author's ability to create real sexual tension and mutual attraction.

Overall, this book was an interesting read. I doubt it will be a classic like the titanic Harry Potter series (the writing, plot development, and characters are just too good to beat), but I can see why millions of copies of Breaking Dawn were sold in that first night. I am looking forward to seeing what has created the whole "Team Edward"/"Team Jacob" thing, because people are adamant!! :)

No comments: